Depot Park Museum
Depot Park Museum is open with the 'Picturing the Springs' Exhibit until Sunday February 26.
We are open Sunday and Monday 1-4pm
After the last train came to Sonoma in 1968, the City of Sonoma acquired the 1880’s Northwestern Pacific Railway depot and adjacent land to prevent the loss of this historic site. In 1975, while the Sonoma Valley Historical Society was negotiating for use of the depot as a museum, fire destroyed the historic Sonoma train depot galvanizing the community into a major fund-raising drive, led by the Historical Society.
Grants and donations came from the city of Sonoma, the Sonoma County Landmarks Commission, and others, providing funding to rebuild the Depot as a Community Museum. The adjacent land was dedicated as Depot Park. The new museum and park opened in 1979.
The Museum Today
Open weekends, there is no charge to visit the museum. Donations are welcome.
Each year focuses on various aspects of the History of Sonoma Valley including: Agriculture, Artists, Transportation, Ecology, Immigrants, Politics, and Schools. Our current temporary exhibit is "Picturing the Springs".
- The History of Sonoma Valley Trains located in the Train Station Master’s office
- Native life before contact with European explorers
- The Mission Period
- The Bear Flag Revolt
- Life in Sonoma following the Bear Flag and California Statehood
- Chinese immigrants
- Rural life (the kitchen display)
The Depot Park Museum is available for school tours by appointment please email firstname.lastname@example.org for information and to schedule a tour.
Museum Hours: Sat. & Sun. 1-4 PM
Location: 270 1st Street West, P. O. Box 861
Sonoma, CA 95476
Phone: 707-938-1762(during museum open hours) or 707-343-1335 (for general information)